I know my ancestor is buried in a Butte cemetery, but I can’t find his name in your database. You can either contact the Archives so we can take a look at other records we may have or contact the cemetery where he is buried. Contact information for the cemeteries is provided in the “About” section next to the cemetery name in the Online Record Search.

What should I do if I see a typo? You can email us using the Correction/Comment Form in the Online Record Search area.

How do I get a copy of someone’s death certificate? You can email us with your request. Please provide the full name and the date of death. There will be an additional charge for this service.

I am not finding any of my people, but I know they were in Butte. The Archives has resources through which they can be tracked in addition to the records on this website. For instances, we have city directories from 1884 through the 2000s, school census records from the late 1880s through 1972, and many high school and business school yearbooks from the early 1920s. You can come to the Archives and conduct your own research or have us do the research for you. There will be an additional charge if we conduct the research for you.

Do I need to make an appointment to visit the Archives? No. We are open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and you can visit at any time.

Can I make copies or take photographs at the Archives? Many of our documents are quite fragile, so we are happy that new technology makes it possible to scan or photograph large or delicate documents. The Archives has hand scanners or you can use your own or your camera.

What should I do if I cannot see well enough to read the records on this website? The Archives is committed to ensuring that its resources are accessible to all individuals. If you use special adaptive equipment and encounter problems when using this website, please report them using the contact information provided and we will let you know if the information is available in an alternate format.