The Carrie Johnson Research Stipend will be awarded to two Montana residents involved in public history projects focused on exploring local history.* The award is intended to help Montanans conduct research using resources at the Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives. Research can be for any project related to local history, including exhibit development, walking tours, oral history projects, building history or preservation, county or town histories, archaeological research, and class projects. Awards up to $500 each will be given to researchers annually. Award funds cannot be used to pay for salaries.
* Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives employees and previous Carrie Johnson Research Stipend recipients are not eligible to apply.
Recipients will be expected to:
- Travel to the Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives to conduct research.
- Spend a minimum of one week in residence conducting research.
- Provide a copy of their final product or a report on their completed project to the Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives.
Applications are evaluated on:
- Suitability of the research to the Archives’ collections.
- Potential of the project to make a contribution to local history.
- Experience in conducting local history research.
The application must include the following:
- Project proposal, not to exceed 3 pages, describing the research including the specific Archives collections you intend to use.
- Budgeted costs of the proposed project, providing details of expenses as appropriate.
- The Friends of the Butte Archives will provide up to $500. Include a detailed budget of how you will spend the funds. Although your research may cost more, describe only how you will use the Friends of the Archives money.
- Provide an explanation of each budget category and how you determined the amount
- The Friends of the Archives does not fund capital equipment, faculty salaries, personal salaries, childcare or other personal expenses, conference expenses, or overhead.
- Cover letter
- 1-2 page resume
- Letter of recommendation
Applications must be sent as one PDF document to email@example.com no later than June 15. Announcement of the award will be made in early July. Questions should be directed to the attention of Aubrey Jaap at firstname.lastname@example.org.